Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fied Trips

It's that time of year for field trips.  I have been lucky enough to go on quite a few and thought I'd share some pictures of the fun places we've been able visit.

Isaac

Isaac got to visit the local fire station. He had lots of fun exploring a fire engine and ambulance.  My friend Melissa took most of the pictures.  I only got one not so good one.

Emma

For Emma's field trip I was actually substituting for another 3rd grade teacher.  Emma was a little bummed that I couldn't be her parent chaperone but I saw so much of her while we were there I might as well have been.  The 3rd grade field trip was to the Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy.

Our favorite exhibit was the new river otter display.  They were adorable! There were 3 of them and they are all brothers.  Awwww....


 Of course you can't not love petting the sting rays.


Then we ate lunch after at a nearby park.  Fun day.

Ethan

With Ethan I got to go on two field trips.  Both were really fun but very different.  The 5th graders at our school get to do the funnest stuff.  Really.  First up was to the Utah Symphony and the new Natural History Museum.

Here's my group of handsome boys at the symphony all dressed in their Sunday best.

Letting loose a little at the museum.


Ethan smelling a native plant.

This was pretty cool.  They were making an earthquake to be measured my a seismic reader by jumping all together.  Ready.....Set......

Jump!

Field trip #2 a few weeks later was to J.A. Biztown.  If you've never heard of this it's pretty awesome.  On the top floor of the Discovery Gateway they have built an entire city that is run by 5th graders for a day.  Local businesses sponsor the city and get to have store fronts.  Each 5th graders applies for a job weeks before and are then assigned to a job that they will run the day of the trip.  They have to dress like business professionals, they learn how to balance a checkbook register, pay bills, sell items, get a loan, etc.  The whole town is interconnected and helps them understand how economy really works.  Examples of some of the businesses are Clear Channel broadcasting - a student got to be the DJ for the day and play actual music throughout the city.  Deseret News, Zions and First Securtiy Bank, Larry H. Miller, Alphagraphics, Smith's, Salt Lake City School District, Merit Medical, Select Health, there was also a restaurant and City Hall.

Ethan's job was Sales Manager for ReAl Salt Lake.  There store was really cool. 

Check out the awesome wall!



I haven't been able to go on one of Hannah's field trips yet but the school year isn't over yet! 

We went on a family field trip too!  Baby Animal Days in Wellsville at the American West Heritage Center.  We've never been before because we're too cheap but this year JayDee was given a free family pass so we decided to go even though it was freezing cold and snowing. 

Train ride


Pony rides




 Turtles (How cute are they?)

Sheep



Bunnies



We had lots of fun and were happy we went on such a cold day because we didn't have to wait to do or see anything.  The day before and after our visit the event was packed! Between 7- 8,000  people on each day other than ours.  So their are perks to freezing.  :)


No comments: