Friday, December 2, 2011

I'm Ready

Almost two weeks ago, our little neighborhood got a shake down.  No, I'm not talking about the massive wind storm that hit our area yesterday and was the cause of much destruction.  I'm talking about arriving at church Sunday, Nov. 20th to find the entire Stake Presidency on the stand and being informed that our Bishopric was being released and that we were being invited to a meeting at the Stake Center later that evening to find out who would be called in their stead.  Well you can't live here and not know that when your Bishopric is released and they don't just take care of that right then in your very own ward that something bigger is at play.  In this case, ward realignments.  I had a bit of a heads up on this from a friend in another ward that informed me of the meeting just 2 days prior.  She had someone in the know on the stake level.  But it didn't change the effect such news would have on me.  All it did was make the anxious nervousness last for 3 days rather than 3 hours.  

I tried to prepare myself as best I could.  I tried to prepare my presidency as best I could.  I knew that there would be changes and a very real likelyhood that one or more of us would not be in the same ward after that evenings meeting.  
I was right.  Our ward was one of the largest (if not the largest) ward in the stake.  Our ward membership was around the 510 mark.  We were averaging about 365 people in attendance at our sacrament meetings while there were other wards in the stake whose total ward membership was 273.  That's not people attending but members in total.  We were huge.  And not only were we huge we were attending church in the smallest building in the stake boundaries.  So needless to say, our ward caused all the hub-bub.  We found out at the meeting that my family would now be in a different ward.  They took 2 different sections of our ward and put them in 2 different wards.  With the acquisition of our ward parts, the other wards had to do some adjusting too and the ripple effect took place in 4 wards in the stake.

As emotional as these kind of changes can be, this wonderful neighborhood took it in stride.  There were tears and some frustration but after the initial shock everyone is making the best of this small trial of faith.  I wasn't upset with the change.  I have many friends in my new ward and a good friend of ours was made bishop.  It was almost like coming home.  Unfortunately, I couldn't shake the feeling that others in our new ward kept looking at us like we were the enemy because we came from the ward that caused all the change.  Those feelings have blown over but it was weird for the first week.  

The hardest part for me was being abruptly released as Primary President.  If you remember my post from a year and half ago,  you may remember that I wasn't terribly excited about moving from YW to primary.  But like all things spiritual, I came to really love those I served.  Those sweet children really had a hold on my heart and I felt like I had abandoned them.  I knew it wasn't my fault but it still felt like everything was left hanging.  Which I guess it was.  It always takes time to fill openings that are left from boundary changes.  The good news is that my 2 counselors both remain in the Country Creek Ward to keep things going and moving in the right direction.  I have loved serving with them and couldn't be happier that they will both still be serving in primary.  What lucky kids to have more time with Kenzie and Ali!  My primary is in very capable hands, probably even better than when it was in my own hands.

This year has been great in our primary.  I was going to make an end of year post about all the fun things we've done this year but I'm going to do it a little early because I'm not there any more.  The theme for 2011 was "I Know The Scriptures Are True."  So we implemented a lot of scripture based activities.  One thing we started was the scripture treat jar.  Every week if the kids brought their scriptures to church they would get to put a treat into our scripture treat jar.  When the jar was full we would make them a treat and bring it to church the following week.  The fun thing was that we never had the same treat twice and we changed the jar to fit whatever treat we were filling it with.  For example: we started with a small jelly jar and used chocolate chips to fill it.  When it was full they got chocolate chip cookies.  Next we moved to mini marshmallows.  Mini marshmallows are significantly bigger than chocolate chips so we had a much bigger jar.  When it was full they got rice krispy treats.  Our biggest jar was actually a big vase because the treat was Hershey Kisses.  They loved that one.  I never got a picture of any of our jars but I did get pictures of our other fun things.

 This is our scripture chain.  If a child read their scriptures that week, either individually or with their family, they got to write their name on a chain link and add it to our primary chain.  We loved this.  It was a great visual to see that chain grow every week.  Some weeks it grew immensely and other weeks very little.  Each of those links represent a child that experienced the scriptures and increased their testimony by reading the word of God.  Our goal was to get the chain around the room by the end of the year.  That goal was smashed by August so we had a party to celebrate.  Then we challenged them to keep reading and see if they could get it around the room again by the end of the year.  Right now it's just past the half way mark.  It just makes my heart happy to see.

But my very favorite thing we did this year was our Scripture Hero board.

Every one of my primary kids are represented here (even the ones that moved in mid year).  We took their picture and put it on the body of our scripture hero guy and every week one child in Jr. primary and one in Sr. primary would get to stand up and tell about their scripture hero, someone that can be read about in the scriptures who is someone we can look up to.  They needed to share who their hero was, why they think they are a hero and share a scripture that tells about them.  We then would write the name of their hero on a shield and they would get to go put it on their hero picture at the back of the room. This, by far, was my favorite thing every week.  I looked forward to this more than anything else.  The good news is that although I'm not in this ward any more,we still share a building so I can go in the primary room whenever I want and see this board filled before the end of the year.
Here's a close up of one of our cute heroes. 
 Just and FYI: There was a surprising lack of Jesus scripture heroes. Most of our cute primary kids really thought about this and came up with different great heroes.

What a great experience our family has had in the Country Creek Ward.  We have loved it so much.  Which is funny because 4 1/2 years ago we did this boundary rearranging thing also and I was devastated by the outcome.  I didn't want to be in this ward.  But it has turned out to be the best ward we have ever in been in.  I guess I should say "so far" because we have a lot of life ahead of us.  Some of the best people I know, I have been privileged to know through this ward.  But I'm ready.  I'm ready to move forward.  I'm ready for new experiences and to make new friends.  I'm ready to put full trust in the Lord and go where he wants me to go.  We're not moving, we're still around, we'll still be seeing all the people we know and love and so it's really not about losing friends but increasing our circle of friends.  And who doesn't need as many friends as they can get?

3 comments:

Jessie said...

That's a lot of adjusting, my friend.
We WISH they would re-do our ward boundaries so that one ward could include only one town, instead of picking and choosing here and there from 3 towns. Everyone is so far away. Everything is inconvenient. But the church is true, so you "go and do".
Anyway, you're such a positive influence on people. Now you just get to spread that influence on more lucky recipients!

The Cox Crew said...

It still doesn't seem real! I will honesty miss seeing you every week and serving with you!
Ali

Rick and Angie said...

It's bittersweet. I appreciate your testimony. I'm so grateful to you and your REAL kindness to Bryson. You have a genuine love for all the primary kids and it shows. It means so much to us how you really care!! I'm going to miss you. I know Bryson is having withdrawls. On Sunday, he kept looking for "Issac" and chanting his name. Thanks for letting Bryson follow Issac like a puppy dog!!! XOXOXOXO