Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kidless...for a little while anyway

Isaac started preschool on Monday!  I used an exclamation point because that is super exciting news.  It's a new experience for us because he is the first official preschooler in our family, none of my other children ever attended.   That was wholly due to the fact that JayDee refused to pay for something that I had been trained to do myself.  What he didn't understand was that I am much better at the mother role than the teacher role at home.  None of my kids ever responded well to my "teaching."  As a matter of fact, when Ethan started kindergarten (almost a year later than everyone else his age because his birthday is late) he did not recognize all the letters in the alphabet and he didn't even know the letters in his name.  He thought his name was spelled E-T-H-I-N.  Thankfully, they all caught up quickly with no trouble.

Isaac however is another issue. My current conundrum about  Isaac is whether to let him go to kindergarten next year or wait a year.  His birthday is right at the beginning of school but he makes the deadline if I want him too.  I  discussed this with JayDee and told him that in order for me to make an educated decision about what is best for our son I needed to know where he was academically and socially.  Preschool is the perfect gauging tool.  He consented and now Isaac is super happy to be in school like the big kids and with 2 neighborhood friends.

I'm excited to have 2 1/2 hours of kid free time, 3 times a week.  I almost don't know what to do with myself but I'm pretty sure I'll think of something.


Isaac and his buddies

Ready for new adventures!

3 comments:

Us said...

you lucky girl you. you'll have to let me know where your sending him and how you like it. im thinking of sending graidy next year. i need some ideas.

Dana said...

ah, you beat me to the preschool post. I am a bit ashamed - I had actually completely forgotten to do a preschool post for Natalie (and actually, for the other girls too for that matter...I better get on that). He is going to LOVE preschool.

Enjoy your free, kidless time. You know I'm going to think about you every time ;)

Jessie said...

We're all for preschool (it is expensive, though). I definitely think it's a case-by-case thing, though. Moms know what their kids need. Calvin needed the outlet away from me. Milo doesn't need it academically or socially, but I'm putting him in because kindergarten is full-day here and I don't want it to be a major shock to his system.

Eli will probably go when he's 4, too, because I think he'll love it so much.

I would say that when kindergarten is only 3 hours long, it can't possibly be too much for a young 5-yr-old. It's basically preschool. I guess I just haven't understood the latest trend to hold perfectly smart kids back a year. Kindergarten is pretty easy, low-pressure stuff.
This is all just my opinion, though. You are the mom and you know best for your little guy. I totally respect that mother's intuition stuff!