Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blazin'

July 16th we were invited by some friends to go a Utah Blaze game.  To tell you the truth, I've never really been very impressed with indoor football.  It just seems wrong to play football inside.  JayDee and I joke that the guys that play indoor football are those poor souls that didn't make the cut into the NFL so they had to settle for this.  Which is probably more true than funny.  Needless to say, we would never buy tickets to such an event but since our friends own a business and that business is a sponsor of the Utah Blaze we didn't have to buy tickets...so we went gladly.


It turned out to be really fun.  We got to sit in a "suite" right next to the end zone.  I emphasize suite because when you think of the Energy Solutions Arena (a.k.a. Delta Center) and suites you think of those enclosed rooms above the lower bowl.  Well this was an open section, ground level, literally right on the playing field.  I guess it's called a suite because it has tables, tableclothes, room to mingle and most importantly food. Who wouldn't go for that?


We got to take Ethan along and he was in heaven.  He's not the most sporty guy.  He likes to play sports but not organized sports so much.  He's more the backyard quarterback type or the pick-up game with friends type. But when a game is played in your lap you can't help but think it's pretty darn cool.



 See that yellow sign across the field?  That was our ticket to this night of fun.
Thanks Rugged Rental!

The whole time, Jesse (the friend that invited us) kept saying Ethan's gonna get a player right in his lap.  While I kept thinking, Yeah right.  Well Ethan didn't get a player in his lap but he almost got an elbow to the face.  These two players came smashing right up in front of him fighting over the play, elbows were flying, hands were slapping, helmets were butting.  Ethan had to duck to not get hit. I grabbed my camera but they were moving pretty fast and by then the official was involved and was moving them away from us.  
It was pretty cool to be a part of the action.

TOUCHDOWN!
Jesse, Lauri, their other friend on the left (I forget her name) and us 

We came home with oodles of slap stick noise makers.
Which, if you are wondering, was a mistake. 

Being so close to the action meant balls were flying everywhere!
Ethan wanted to catch one so bad but so did everyone else sitting with us so his chances were pretty slim.  I think during the duration of the game 5 balls were thrown our way.  Another kid sitting with us caught 3 balls and at the end of the game he gave one to Ethan.
Ahhhh...points in heaven for him! 
 Oh and in case you were sitting on the edge of your seat...the Blaze made a winning touchdown in the last 30 seconds.  Whoo-Hoo!!

No comments: