Monday, March 21, 2011

What a Kaleidoscope!

For the past six years, our elementary school puts on some kind of Arts Night.  Our principal is some kind of arts crazed nut and although I am a supporter of the arts in education I can't believe that someone year after year would spend the time to organize such events.  The theme every year is Kaleidoscope something, i.e. Kaleidoscope of Music, Kaleidoscope in Motion,  Kaleidoscope in Motion 2, etc.  This year it was Kaleidoscope of Dance.  And I've got to admit that I wasn't looking forward to it very much.  Do I love watching my kids perform? Absolutely.  Do I love the crowds of crazed and frantic parents? No.  Every year when this night comes around it just feels like one more thing I've got to put on the schedule instead of something I'm really looking forward to.  Maybe I feel that way because the last 2 years they have tried to do this arts night at the elementary school.  So you've got every child that goes to school there along with they're parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends stuffed into the school at the same time trying to maneuver the halls, classrooms and gym to catch a glimpse of their little star.  That is my definition of a nightmare!  

This year the powers that be thought it all the way through and made arrangements for this year's Kaleidoscope to take place at Layton High.  Unfortunately the auditorium was being occupied by the high school's musical so our kids were performing in the gym.  This is an upgrade from the elementary school but I thought we were still in trouble because this little night is so well attended I just knew there was no way everyone was going to fit in the bleachers.  It was a tight squeeze and some parents lined the walls but everyone did get in the room.  Phew!

To make sure that I wasn't sitting in the very back row (like I usually find myself) I made sure to get there plenty early.  I also needed a good seat because JayDee was out of town, so I was doing this event on my own, and anyone that knows my 3 year old knows that crowds and Isaac are a recipe for disaster!  My planning paid off and I found a lovely front row seat right in the center.  It also helped that 3 of my 4 children were participating in the program and I only had to find seats for Isaac and myself.  As I settled in, knowing my children were present and accounted for in their respective meeting spots, I had time to change my attitude about the whole night.  I found myself happily anticipating the beginning of the show and seeing my children perform the dances they had been preparing and practicing for a month.  And it turned out to be such a fun night!  I found myself smiling the whole way through and thoroughly enjoying every performance.  

It helped that by sheer coincidence all 3 of my kids danced right in front of me!  That was amazing!  I didn't have to run to the other side of the gym or even get out of my seat. What are the odds of that?!  So without further ado, may I present the Gunnell children in their Kaleidoscope of Dance.

Waiting for the show to begin. . .
Kindergarteners were seated on the sideline.

Kindergarten presents the 
Dinosaur Boogie 




In honor of their Utah History studies 
the 4th grade performs a square dance.
Here is Ethan escorting his partner to their square.




On the way to the high school that night, Ethan told me that his dance was "really hard, we have to listen so close."  Now that I've seen it I concur with Ethan, it was the most complex dance of the night.  A close second (maybe tied) was the 6th grade Renaissance dance.

Watch out Village People. . .the 2nd grade does a mean Y.M.C.A.





And for the grand finale. . .how about the whole school doing a little Footloose.
Hannah sure does play a mean air guitar.

So for all my crabbing and nay-saying it turned out to be a great night!  A kaleidoscope indeed!

1 comment:

Dana said...

I saw your awesome seat and how your kids were perfectly in front of you and wished I had been in your shoes because my kids were NOT dancing on my side, even though they had both instructed me to sit on that side!! GRR!! and Double GRRR!! I got NO pictures as a result, and becuase we were sitting so high up, I couldn't run over to see them. Oh well, it was still fun to watch them all!