Our month started out with a song. Ethan decided this year (completely of his own accord) to join his elementary school choir. If you can, try to imagine Ethan's dad, who grew up in Cache Valley where boys are boys and if you're awesome enough you're a cowboy and you have your own herd of cows, you drive a truck and you wouldn't be caught dead down the choir hall in the school let alone in choir. So you can imagine how this went down when Ethan voiced his interest in singing in a choir. Luckily, Ethan has a totally awesome mom who thinks singing is great and doesn't sway boys to the "dark side" and who totally has Ethan's back. And if Mom's on your side you win every time, so choir it was.
Dec. 1, Ethan had his first performance with his choir at the Festival of Trees in Salt Lake. I've always wanted to go to the festival but have never taken the opportunity, so this was a fun night for me all around. It was just Ethan and I and lucky for us Grandma Taggart was volunteering that night at the festival so there was a little more support for Ethan. Now don't start thinking that JayDee was sour from losing the choir battle that he wouldn't even come to his son's performance, that's not it at all, we just decided that we didn't want to take everyone because if there is one thing JayDee hates worse than choir it's a crowd. Anyway, Ethan's choir was fantastic! And after we walked around and had a look at everyone's hard work. Can I just say AMAZING!! I seriously have never seen trees like these and half the time I didn't even think you could make ornaments out of the things some people made ornaments out of. Here's a smattering of some of our favorites.
Here's Ethan in his choir shirt next to his favorite gingerbread house.
My personal favorite!
So clever. . .and who doesn't love Toy Story?
This is the tree topper.
And the mid-section of the tree.
I never got a good shot of the whole tree but I just loved it.
Also loved this guy. There were a couple of trees with this
same idea but none of them measured up to him.
Now if I owned a Rumbi Island Grill I would totally buy this one. AWESOME!
That's 4 trees all together, flocked blue with just the tips white and bent over like
the white caps on a wave. Then decorated to the hilt with all kinds of ocean life.
Seriously, who thinks up this stuff?
Now this one just made me laugh.
Barbie's Winter Wonderland Ball
Up close, all the Barbies and Kens paired up and dancing.
I would have killed for this set up when I was little. :)
We had a great time. I may just have to force JayDee to come with us next year.
We've had Christmas themed Family Home Evenings all month. One Monday we talked about the symbols of Christmas and how they all tied back to the Savior and then went a picked out our biggest symbol of Christmas, the tree! Another week we read a story called, I Believe in Santa Claus, which compares Santa to the Savior. Don't worry it's not sacrilegious it's actually really nice. After that we made sugar cookies. . .lots and lots of cookies. . .so many cookies there were still some hanging around the next Monday. I couldn't give them away because they were from a boxed mix and really not that good but the kids had a great time rolling and cutting. All I kept thinking was this is why I never make sugar cookies. When it was JayDee's turn for the lesson he read the kids that Christmas classic that we all know and love. . .The Christmas Orange. To my surprise none of my kids had heard it before. And the activity following this story? Well how about pass the orange? Where you have to pass the orange from one person to the next without using your hands or dropping it. This turned out to be quite a humorous activity.
In case you're wondering, kids necks are really not big enough to hold oranges.
This activity would have worked better with clementines. :)
Later in the month Ethan had another choir concert at the school which was attended by the whole family. (Reason #2 that everyone didn't come to the Festival of Trees) And even though this picture stinks I told Ethan I'd post it.
Wouldn't you just love finding this plate of festiveness on your front porch?
I like to call it "Christmas joy on a plate!" They're a joy to make and a joy to give.
I hope they bring Christmas joy too!
5 comments:
Truth be told, I look forward to your yummy plate of goodies every year - the kids and I fight over who gets what and John gets the left overs :)
Yes, it is Christmas Joy on a Plate :)
I am so glad Ethan joined the choir because what would a choir be without all the cute boys too!
The festival of trees looks awesome. Love the barbie scene and the toy story tree. People are so creative. Great job Ethan!! You guys have a good Christmas.
What a cute post! And yay for Ethan and choir! That's one of the great things about Utah: you can be in a choir and still be cool. Think David Dibble, Matt Ahern, those Taggarts, and the like. Cool, I tell you.
Man, I hope my cowboy comment didn't offend anyone on my choir post. I suppose what I really meant was, I dislike all things "fake" cowboy. The people who actually grow up on farms have my full respect! Just to clarify.
We pass out homemade molasses candy every year. But I'm pretty sure you need my address, and a round 3 of your goodies. Yum.
SO fun!
Oh yes it is JOY on a plate for sure!! I never give up my cheese cake to anyone in the family :)
Those dang Cache Valley boys. They have some strange ideas. I LOVE your treat plate! It is so yummy!! I made your cheesecakes for my plate this year. What do I have to do to get the recipes for the candy cane and wreath?
Post a Comment