Friday, December 3, 2010

Miracles

You know, the gospel never ceases to amaze me.  I sat in the Bountiful Temple Tuesday night with all my family (save one brother who lives in Colorado) to support the baby of our family, my little brother Chase, as he went through the temple for the first time.  It meant more to us than maybe the run of the mill Mormon family there to see a young man go through before his mission.  Our Chase is almost 24 years old and has overcome some pretty terrible demons.  These past years have been difficult ones. As many people know, watching your loved ones struggle is not easy.  For me, the struggle never seemed to end and to be completely honest I pretty much gave up hope.  I knew it wasn't impossible to overcome I just thought "He doesn't really want to change.  He doesn't care enough."  I have never been happier to be completely wrong! And I am taught once again not to judge,  you never know the inner workings of a soul.

In June of this year I was surprised to get a phone call from my dad asking if I was available at about 7pm that night to come to their church.  I, of course, asked him why I would want to come to his church that night and he said, so I could be there to witness Chase's ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood.  I was shocked!  I had no idea that Chase was even close to such a milestone.  Needless to say, I and my whole family were there.  I thought I couldn't be happier that day.  And since I am laying out all my shame here today I will tell you a little incident that happened that night.  So we are sitting in the High Council room of my parents' Stake Center with another family whose son was receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood before leaving on his mission .  The Stake High Council representative was there and he started talking to the assembled group about these two young men.  In the course of his ramblings he asked the group "Who will write to these young men on their missions?"  My sister exuberantly raised her hand, my kids tentatively raised their hands ( I think they were confused because as far as they knew Chase wasn't serving a mission) and I did not raise my hand.  I definitely didn't think Chase was going on a mission. Well again, I couldn't have been happier to be wrong.  I found out later that night that Chase had told my mom earlier that day that he wanted to go to the temple as soon as possible and that he had been saving for a mission.  Who knew?!

It took until October to get everything in order and then finally the papers were in.  It took only one and a half weeks and then I got another phone call.  Chase called me.  Chase never calls me.  He asked if I was busy right then.  I said no and then added, "Wait, did you get your mission call?!"  He said he did and I said we'll be right over.  Ethan was super excited because all this was happening on his birthday! After some more waiting at Mom and Dad's house for everyone to assemble and to get the Skype to work so my brother in Colorado could be a part of it (a miracle in its own way), Chase opened the call.  With his hands shaking he read he had been called to serve in the Milan, Italy mission.  Well if you know me or my family at all you can imagine how this went down.  There was screaming, a lot of screaming, and jumping up and down and hugging and crying.  It was wonderful! Then Chase proceeded to read the rest of the letter. When he got near the end, President Monson was thanking him for his willingness to serve and his worthiness to serve.  As Chase read these words he couldn't hold back his tears.  He normally is a very unemotional person but there was no denying that he was worthy.  He knew that he had finally done it!  All his hard work, all the humility, all the pain was worth it and he could read those words with confidence. Another beautiful moment I will never forget.  

The atonement is such an amazing miracle. To see it save the life of someone you love is completely humbling.  I know that there is no sin too small or too large that can't be covered by the sacrifice of our Savior but there just seems to be a greater magnitude when it heals someone who has suffered so long. My heart is just so full of gratitude that I have a Father who loves me so much and loves my family so much that he provided a way for us to be successful in this life.  What a miracle!  All these feelings culminated as we attended the temple together.  I just hope that in the very near future my entire family can be there together.  That would be the best miracle of all! 

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh man, that totally made me tear up! I just love your family so much, and that IS so wonderful. I know how it is to worry about loved ones, and to hope and pray for moments just like that. Wonderful! I'm so proud of Chase. It's SO difficult to overcome demons. I've been learning a lot more about the atonement lately, and this story totally got to me.
Thanks for sharing. Please pass along my love and excitement to your family.

Mary said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. It gives me hope for my two brothers that haven't been to church in years except for special occasions I've invited them to. I'll keep on tryin'. ☺