Thursday, July 15, 2010

Colorado

So was anybody wondering about our 4th of July celebrations?  I thought not, but now you'll know. We had a great 4th of July weekend by making it a little longer "weekend" (Thurs. - Mon.) and taking a long overdue trip to Colorado to visit my brother Matt and his family.  We haven't been to see them as an entire family (JayDee, me, kids) for 8 years!  It's a good thing that Matt and Nancy are so good about coming to see us. :)  This trip my whole entire family came (mom,dad,brothers,sisters).  I'm posting a lot of pictures because who would rather read a bunch of mumbo-jumbo when they can see it for themselves.
First of all it wouldn't be a Gunnell road trip without visiting a botanical garden of some sort along the way.  We drove the south-easterly route to Denver (through Vail) for our garden tour.  Our first stop was in Grand Junction but that was a complete flop.  That garden was a joke.  I guess you can't trust the internet - - the garden we wanted to see there wasn't even finished yet but they still wanted an admission fee.  Needless to say, we saw the inside of their bathrooms and that's about it.  Next stop, the Betty Ford Alpine Garden in Vail.  Now this was a worthy spot.  Not only did it have a very nice garden for JayDee to enjoy but it had an awesome playground adjacent to it for the kids.  I heard the least amount of complaining here than any other garden we've been too.  
Here's the kids on the playground - the bridge the kids are on was 20 feet up in the air. Cool!
Isaac is the master water finder.  No matter where we are he'll find the water.
Ethan and Emma waded a pretty big pond to get to the rock they're sitting on.  I don't know if that was quite legal but nobody stopped them (and a couple of teenagers followed suit) so I guess it was all good.

Next stop was Joshua and James' house (a.k.a. Matt and Nancy's)!!
Let the sleepover begin!

On Friday we had a pool day.  Everyone suited up and headed for the neighborhood pool.  There are no pictures of this event because I really did not want any documentation of myself in a bathing suit and also who wants to worry about their camera at the pool when you've got 4 kids to worry about?  Exactly.  So just take my word for it, it was fun.

Saturday was the real reason for our little family excursion to Colorado.  Matt's oldest son Joshua was getting baptized.  Now you may be saying, "Wow, what an awesome family to travel all the way to Colorado for a baptism!"  Well we are awesome but the real reason was that my brother Matt, who has struggled with some pretty nasty demons over many years and hasn't been in full fellowship of the Church for the past 8 years, was able to baptize and confirm his son.  It was the most amazing day!  We were really there to celebrate second chances and the power of the atonement and to show Matt how much we love and support him.  The confirmation was about the most beautiful thing I have witnessed in a long time.  Picture a circle of priesthood holders, shoulder to shoulder, and in that circle are all the men in my life that I love: my brother Matt, my husband, my dad and my little brother Chase who at 23 had just weeks earlier received the Melchizedek Priesthood. It really was a beautiful site!
Matt and Joshua   - -   Ethan and Joshua
 I can't help but love this picture of Ethan and Joshua.  They are the best of friends and great young men. Watch out world - here comes two great missionaries!
Here's everybody (except Joey he kind of got cut, sorry Joey I wasn't taking this picture) :)

Later that day Grandma took all of her grandkids to see Toy Story 3 and it turned out that none of the adults wanted to miss that so we all went.  I was amazing, as all Pixar/Disney films are.  I actually cried at the end.  I couldn't decide if it was the movie alone or the emotional morning I had but either way I was tearing up as Andy gave away his toys.  
 These kids just couldn't get enough of each other.  They had fun no matter what they did.
Emma was like a little mother hen to Aubrie all weekend always making sure she was being taken care of.

Then as night fell Saturday, all the men with the excitement of childhood glowing on their faces, went a bought fireworks.
Fireworks and ice cream. Is there anything better! 
 Ooooo. . . Ahhhhhhh. . . Ohhhhh!!

Sunday, the true 4th of July, was overcast and chilly.  Of course.  Our entire trip had beautiful weather, hot, but not too hot, and sunny. But the day we had planned to go to Littleton, CO to see a great fireworks show it's raining.  We decided to give it a go anyway and take our chances.  When we got to the golf course where the fireworks show was, it was really nice weather wise.  Everyone was taking off their sweatshirts and playing frisbee and football and having a great time. 
 Look! Sunny and nice.  Matt and Nancy are passing out the glow sticks.
Katie, BriAnne and Eden enjoyed watching everyone play.
 It's starting to get dark so we settle in for the show. . . 
And BAM!  The wind picks up and starts blowing everything aroundThen here comes the rain.  By this time we weren't about to let a little (or a lot) of rain ruin our fun.
We hunkered down, pulled the tarps up and were determined to wait out the storm.  Which proved to be successful.  After a downpour of about 15-20 minutes the rain let up and the fireworks began.  It was a great show and quite an adventure.  My kids kept saying, "I've never watched fireworks from under a tarp before!"  Neither have I kids, neither have I.

Monday was travel day again, but this time we went the north-westerly route through Wyoming.   This is the more time efficient way to go but the absolute worst scenic way.  I'm sorry people but who could live in Wyoming?  There is absolutely nothing to see statewide.  Maybe once you get away from the freeway it gets a little better but come on!  It was possibly the longest 9 hours of my life.  Hallelujah for DVDs!  I know I posted a picture of Isaac on our last road trip in the car but this one is even better.
Those darn headphones never stay on without help. :)
Good Times!  

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Looks like a great trip! How fun!!

Dustin and Connie said...

Sounds like it was such a fun trip with the whole family!! Even the fireworks in the rain and driving across Wyoming!

just dandee said...

Oh so much fun!! Glad you had a great holiday. I confess, I love blogs. I love keeping up with your beautiful family.

Denni said...

I'm feeling better now knowing I wasn't the only one who cried at the end of Toy story~lol. Looks like you guys had a ball.