Okay, so I've been waiting to share this news for about 2 weeks now and now I finally can. It's probably a good thing that I had to wait to share because 2 weeks ago this post would sound very different. Yesterday, I was released from my absolute favorite calling as a member of the YW Presidency and called to be the Primary President of my ward. YIKES! I was completely taken off guard with this calling because I had only served in YW for a year and a half, I wasn't ready to go. In fact, after welcoming a new beehive into YW a few months ago, I told her younger sister that I hoped I would be in their house again in 3 years to welcome her into YW. And I meant it. There is just something about YW that I love - and will always love.
So needless to say I was devastated when the bishop released me and completely shocked with my new call. I am always overwhelmed with the process of choosing counselors and this time was no exception. I had a horrible week. I know most of it was due to my lack of excitement so I decided to change my attitude and look forward with faith to this new adventure. It took about 5 days and quite a few tears but I finally got confirmation of the Lord's will and can say with confidence that I am ready for this new challenge and really excited about it.
Sunday was a loooong day. My presidency and I were sustained in sacrament meeting (which was a tear filled occasion by the way- the bishopric member releasing us and sustaining us could barely get the words out) we met with the old presidency right after church where they passed the baton to us, we were set apart and then JayDee and I had to run up to the Stake Center to meet with a member of the stake presidency. Now I know you're thinking, the stake presidency has nothing to do with a new ward calling, and you would be absolutely right. I walked into their office with a free spirit because I knew we couldn't be there for me. I was only halfway right. Our stake is doing a pioneer trek this summer and JayDee and I were asked to be a Ma & Pa for trek. I was ecstatic! A little background on this topic might be in order.
At the beginning of this year as our YW Presidency was looking forward to our upcoming year, trek was big topic, and it just so happens that a counselor in our presidency is the wife of a member of our stake presidency so I took the opportunity to make it very clear that she could at any time mention to her husband that the Gunnells would be more than happy to serve on trek. Unfortunately, our bishop had other plans. He wanted our ward to do a beehive camp this summer and he wanted it to be the same days as trek so the beehives (who don't get to go on trek) would not feel left out. Well that dashed my trek dreams real quick because I am the over the beehives of our ward. I tried to tell him that I couldn't go to camp those days because I had other plans . . . I would be on trek. But alas, I had to eventually give in and accept that I would not be going. I watched as many great couples from my ward were called to be Mas & Pas and listened to many discussions and announcements about trek and I felt okay about not going. Then I got released. Suddenly I was available that last week of July where beehive camp used to be and the stake presidency got word and BAM - I'm going to be a Ma on Trek 2010!!
The Lord sure works in mysterious ways.
P.S. I just got word today that I might be able to run the Wasatch Back Relay this year with my sister. That would be awesome. I've always wanted to but it's not a for sure thing yet. I'll keep you posted. :)
2 comments:
Oh Allison, good luck with all these really big changes! You will do an amazing job with Primary and with the Trek. I agree that the Lord works in mysterious ways, and tender mercies surely are abundant if we can just recognize them. Best wishes with EVERYTHING!!
Yes, both of those callings suit you perfectly. You'll have to switch gears, but if I was in your ward, I'd be thrilled that you'd be in there with my kidlets.
Yay!
(Oh, and on the lawn care advice: Thanks! We had no delusions that we could maintain it as it was when we bought the house - but first the previous owners killed all the grass before we moved in, THEN there was all that ridiculous landscaping, which was mostly them dumping dirt all over, including ruining the automatic sprinklers. So...mostly we weed where we can, plant ground cover, and put down bark. Still...it's horrible.)
OK, I'm done.
Post a Comment