Tuesday, January 22, 2013

C...C...C...Cold

It has been uncharacteristically cold this winter.  I know I live in Utah.  I know it's usually cold and snowy this time of year but this year seems to be breaking records.  I feel like the snow and cold we've been getting are like the good old storms of my childhood.  They haven't been around for years!

We've lived in our house for 7 years and have never had icicles.  Seriously.  My kids think they are the best things ever because they've never been on our house before.  This year, we can't get them to go away.  We'll break them down and they will be back later that same day.  It's crazy!


Our front porch is a death trap.  Thanks to the icicles up above that drip during the day we've had a lovely 3 inch thick ice cascade down the front steps plus a small ice rink on the bottom landing all month long. We can't get rid of it. I'd say we were just providing some winter entertainment for the birds, squirrels, and other small animals but those guys aren't crazy enough to stay around in the single digit temperatures. 
 

And then there's the snow, mountains and mountains of it.  It's been awesome for the sledding (see the previous post) but not great for the back-breaking shoveling.  And where to put it all? The snow plow found a spot, which makes it fun to play "Where's my mailbox."

The kids have loved all the snowI haven't hated it because a beautiful thing happened this year.  Isaac is now capable of putting on his own snow clothes! YAY! It's a lovely thing and I find myself just happy as a clam to let them go outside every time they ask. The frozen smiles then hot chocolate mustaches are worth every snowflake.  

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Wow, that's some impressive snow and ice. But I have to admit: I don't miss it at all.

Glad to see you back and blogging!