May 21st
Marathon day! Well it was supposed to be marathon day but ended up only being half marathon day. What a tumultuous training season this time around. Not only did I stress myself with fundraising $500 to run the marathon but I had a bought of tendonitis in my left knee, what I thought was a stress fracture along the top of my foot (which turned out to be just one of those random running pains) to finally I.T. band issues in my right knee. The hardest part of all of this was that after raising the money, working through 2 solid months of tendonitis and all the other little aches and pains, I fought my way back. I caught up on all the missed training and was finally feeling good when WHAM! that stupid I.T band had to rear it's ugly head 3 weeks before race time.
Just 3 weeks from marathon day and I came to the unavoidable realization that I wouldn't be able to run it. I cried. I know it sounds strange but I was literally heart broken. It's a pretty big let down when you've worked so hard for something and then can't see it through. Anyway, with a lot of encouragement from my running partner, Shanna (who also wasn't able to run the full marathon either due to injury) I made the most of it and Shanna and I finished the Ogden half marathon together.
It was a bittersweet day for me but there is really no better feeling than crossing a finish line no matter how far you have run.
Coming down the home stretch!
I'm on the left, Shanna on the right.
Almost there! The finish line is about 100 yards away.
Yeah we made it!
Running for HOPE!
Huntsman Cancer Foundation...Thanks for the amazing experience!
My biggest fans!
After race day it was time to start thinking about wrapping up another school year.
There were school projects, reading minutes, programs, etc.
Ethan had been working hard the month of May on his Utah Counties report. He was assigned Iron County and we learned a lot about that Southern Utah county. Parowan is the county seat and the first southern Utah settlement sent by Brigham Young. Cedar City is the largest city in Iron County and Cedar City is also the most visited place in the county thanks to the Utah Shakespearean Festival, the Utah Summer Games and SUU.
It was named Iron County because of the iron deposits found there.As part of his assignment, Ethan had to make a power point presentation, do an at home project and perform in the 4th grade Utah program. I was pretty impressed with his power point presentation (maybe that's because I have never done one myself) and his at home project turned out great. He wanted to make a float of the most exciting thing that he learned about Iron County. Can you guess what he thought was most exciting?
That's right, the Utah Summer Games.
I won't be surprised if we attend the games someday and it will
probably be because Ethan will be participating in some way.
Here's Ethan at school during their County Fair where they got to show
off their projects and power point presentations.
I didn't get any pictures of his program but it was really cute
and Ethan sung his little heart out.
The girls also had an end of "school" program but it wasn't sponsored by the elementary school. Rather it was their end of semester recital for their singing class. A cute gal in our ward started a little singing group at the beginning of the year and my girls have had the funnest time learning show tunes with their friends. They spotlighted songs from Annie and Suessical the Musical. The best part about their recital was that this was the first time performing for most of these girls (not to mention that they are all 7 years old or younger) so there was a lot of uncertainty and bashful voices. The good news...cute Miss Megan has access to a real recording studio so they made a recording of the girls and everyone came home with a CD.
*These are not the greatest of pictures but remember I have possibly the worst camera in the world and their dad was taking these (he doesn't always wait for the best shot).*
"Anything's Possible"
"It's a Hard Knock Life"
"How Lucky You Are"
"You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile"
"Green Eggs and Ham"
Told you Miss Megan was cute. :)
It was a fun night. I can't wait for these ladies to get a little more experience performing in front of people so they can gain confidence and really enjoy themselves.
1 comment:
You seriously ROCK it GIRL!!! I love the cake too...give me some pointers!!
Post a Comment