Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Farewell Chase

Sunday, Jan. 23, 2011

Sunday was Chase's day.  He spoke in sacrament meeting for his farewell address before leaving for Italy on Feb. 2nd AND it was his 24th birthday!  It was a great day.  My parent's ward started at 11:30am and we were all sitting in the chapel. . .everyone except Chase.  I started getting pretty antsy.  Where was Chase?  Why wasn't he here yet?  If I can get myself (being a girl) and all 4 of my kids ready and seated before 11:30, why couldn't Chase? I know it was silly to be worried but being the slightly high-strung kind of person I am in situations like these, I couldn't help it.  My worries were put to rest as the announcements were being made and in walked Chase and took his seat on the stand.  Phew! Then my worries changed a little as I watched Chase on the stand.  He looked like he might be sick.  His eyes were darting around the room with the "deer in the headlights" look and I thought, "Oh no, he's so nervous he's not going to be able to do this."  Does anyone notice a complete lack of faith on my part when it comes to Chase.  I am ashamed to have these feelings because every time I do Chase exceeds my expectations.  Why don't I learn?  

This situation was no exception. Chase's talk was phenomenal. Really.  I'm not just saying that because I'm his sister and started with very little hope.  He spoke from the heart.  He stood at that pulpit and told the congregation why he was 24 and just leaving on a mission. He used experiences from his life and the lessons he has learned from these experiences to powerfully testify of the importance of putting on the whole armor of God.  The Spirit couldn't be restrained. I was in joyful tears.  All my concerns, all my worries, as to whether Chase was really ready for the challenges of missionary life were completely silenced within me.  He is ready.  I am so happy for him.

Of course we had a gathering afterward and we had a grand time visiting with those who came to wish Chase well.  And since it was Chase's birthday we all sang Happy Birthday and celebrated that occasion as well.  When all our visitors found their way home, we then got to spend time just as a family laughing and talking about the great, or not so great, missionary experiences Chase gets to look forward to.  It was so funny to listen to all the returned missionaries in our family talk about the similarities and differences of their missions.  We've got a lot of missionaries in our family and they all went to different places in the world. Actually no one served a stateside mission.  Bear with me here. . .
* Dad - Japan (the whole country)
* Matt - Japan,Tokyo South
* Katie - Ecuador, Guayaquil North
*JayDee - Netherlands, Amsterdam
*Bryan - Taiwan (I don't know the exact mission)
*Joey - Argentina, Bahia Blanca 
*Chase - Italy, Milan


I just love how the gospel brings people together.  
Families are the center (and the best).


Here's our handsome Chase with his 
oldest friend, Ben.


These are some of the pictures that I took to 
make Chase his family/home book. Missionaries 
always carry pictures of home to show people 
on their missions, they're not the best portraits 
but hey, that's us!

Mom and Dad

Brothers

Sisters

Boys

Girls

Mischief makers


Love you Chase!!

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Yeah for Chase!

The Nate and Sara Project said...

Sounds like a completely wonderful day. Wish I could have been there!

Dana said...

Love the new family photos Allison! Ryan did a great job (as always).

Rick and Angie said...

That is sooo neat Allison. And I LOVE Your family pictures. They are adorable!!

Shane and Kenzie said...

What an exciting day for you and your family Allison! And also what a great testimony builder...
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new family photos!