Monday, November 29, 2010

Jackson Hole

Well, I guess I'm never going to get the pictures I want from JayDee so I shall post without them. 

Picture mid-October, the 12-15th to be precise, it's lovely weather, the kids are in school and the husband has a presentation to give at a national conference in Jackson Hole.  With a little finagling, I was able to secure the help of two lovely aunts so I could go to the conference with JayDee. It was like a free trip. How could I not try to go when the university is paying for almost everything?  He goes to at least one national conference a year, usually they are farther from home and in the summer.  This one landed close to home (which was good) but was also scheduled during school (which was bad).  It's always harder to leave kids when they have school to attend.  But fortunately it all worked out and JayDee and I were off to what we hoped would be restful little getaway, and it turned out to be just that.  JayDee really only had to attend one full day of conference meetings so the rest of the time we just enjoyed each others company.  We bummed around Jackson, and for all of you wondering what there is to do in Jackson during the off season the answer is . . .nothing!  Really this town makes a name for itself during the summer and is close enough to the Grand Tetons to be reputable during the winter, but during the fall they've got nothing.  So we walked the streets, browsed the shops and ate.  

The 13th was JayDee's 35th birthday and unfortunately this was the day JayDee had to spend in meetings so I was on my own.  I had to eat alone, which I do not like, and I shopped alone, but I did find a cozy little bookstore that I spent a good hour or more browsing the shelves and smelling that new book smell which I love!  I would never have been able to do that with JayDee in tow. 

On the 14th we drove up to Yellowstone to relive the memories of our first wedding anniversary and to see some sites we missed the first time.  We also relived our 4th grade geography lessons about the Continental Divide. I thought is was kind of funny and a little sad that we jumped out of the car with enthusiasm to read a sign describing what the Continental Divide was.  :)

JayDee had a successful conference and I had a relaxing getaway and these are the only pictures to show for it.

 On the way to Jackson we stopped at a little service station that is famous for its square ice cream.  Well we couldn't pass that up when the world's biggest ice cream fan is in the car. Unfortunately, as cool as it was to eat an ice cream cone shaped like a stick of butter it was not very tasty.


 This is 43 N, the swanky little restaurant where we chose to eat for JayDee's birthday dinner.  How can a place called 43 N not be swanky?  The best part of the dinner was when I used the word swanky to describe this place and JayDee had no idea what the word meant.  Really.  I had to define it for him. :) It just goes to show that you are never to old to learn new things.

 This was our scenery on the way into Yellowstone.  If you were alive you will remember the fateful Yellowstone fire of 1988 which burned for months and countless acres.  When JayDee and I came to Yellowstone in 1999 for our 1st wedding anniversary those tall "sticks" high above the greenery were all that remained of the dense forestry pre-fire.  Now 11 year later these little spruce trees are everywhere and JayDee estimated they were about 10 feet tall.  Nature is an amazing thing!

 First stop actually in the park. . .Old Faithful of course!

 My not so great attempt at an arm shot with us and Old Faithful but hey, we're pretty cute!

 The only shot of either of us taken with my camera because as you can see 
JayDee has a much nicer camera. 

Pretty much the only wildlife we saw. Buffalo, buffalo and more buffalo. Both times we've been to Yellowstone all we ever see is buffalo.  Where are all the animals everyone always says they see and the park warns about?  JayDee's pictures are, as he would say "calendar quality" but remember I don't have his pictures so you get this one. . .not calendar quality.

No comments: